Dear Erasmus/exchange students,
First, congratulations on choosing our small but wonderful country :-) We promise you lots of amazing experiences during your stay in Louvain-la-Neuve ! But before your arrival in Belgium, let us provide you with some useful information.
Before starting, allow us to introduce ourselves: we're the Kot Erasmus. For all those who don’t know what a “kot” is, it’s a form of accommodation for students which consists of a flat with multiple private bedrooms and shared common areas (living room, kitchen, toilets, showers). As a specialty of Louvain-la-Neuve, there are also some kots called “kot-à-projets” (also called kaps). These kots are meant to unite students not only through a common living space but also through a common project. The nature of this project may vary a lot between the 78 KAPs but they all seek to enrich and serve the student’s life in LLN.
Our kap, the Kot Erasmus - consisting of 8 Belgian and 10 exchange students - aims to help the Erasmus/exchange students and organize activities for them at their arrival in Belgium and during the rest of their stay. At the beginning of each semester (in September and January), the Kot Erasmus offers the possibility of temporary accommodation owing to its dormitories and sanitary facilities. You're thus very welcome to spend a few nights in our dorms IF:
- You don't find any accommodation before your arrival in Belgium. You will then have the possibility to spend 3 nights in our dorms to go directly to the UCL housing service buildings (6, rue de la gare) to try to find a room in a UCL kot or in a private kot.
- You've already found an accommodation but you won't be able to receive your keys the day of your arrival in LLN. Especially if you've found an UCL accommodation, don't forget to check their opening hours :-)
- You don't need our dorms ;-) Yes, you should come to the kot Erasmus anyway, because we are hosting our Welcome Week ! Actually, we'll be cooking a delicious cheap dinner (3 or 4€) and organizing small parties every evening of our Welcome period (from January 25th to February 3rd). All the exchange / Erasmus students of LLN are thus welcome to join to have fun and meet each other. Moreover, we'll be very happy to answer any of your questions about our university, our country, our traditions and the way we celebrate here in LLN.
To book one of the 28 beds of our dorms, you will just have to fill the form on our website. The dorms will be open from January 25th until February 10th and you can stay a maximum of 3 nights (unless we have enough available beds). The price is 5 euros per person and night. We also have bedding kits with sheets if you don’t have your own. You just need to pay a deposit of 50 euros to rent one and you'll get your 50 euros back when you give the sheets back. The bookings on the website will be activated on January 2nd at midday. No worries, we always have beds for everyone, we won't let you sleep in the street :-)
During the rest of the year, we will only have 6 beds that you can book if you have friends or family visiting you for example. You will have to bring your own bedding, and the price is the same. For that, simply email us :-)
And now, let's talk about the real stuff ! As you just read, the kot Erasmus is composed of 8 Belgian students and 10 Erasmus students. Out of the 10 Erasmus living with us this last semester, only 3 are staying for a year (actually, only one was supposed to stay, but they loved it so much they decided to make their Erasmus longer !) and we therefore need to find 7 new amazing roommates. Let's have a better look at who we are and what we do, in case you'd like to join us :-)
Throughout the semester/year, the kot Erasmus organizes various events to promote friendship, demonstrate Belgian traditions, and just have a good time. For example:
- Welcome drink
- Speed friending with Belgian students
- Theme parties: Halloween, Valentine's Day, Saint Patrick
- Country presentations by natives
- International dinner
- Farewell party
- Beerpong tournament
- Erasmus hike and camping
- Weekend Kot
More information on our website
Don't forget that if you are not interested in the kot Erasmus and simply want a regular accommodation, the UCL housing service will provide one for you. It's obviously a completely different experience, and only you can know which one is best for you. If you think this is the right place for you, please fill the form attached to this email and send it back when you're done (if for any reason the form is not attached to this mail, you can download it here). We'll then get back to you as soon as possible :-) If you have any question, let us know !
To get to know more about us and our project: do not hesitate to
- contact us through our Facebook page
- send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- reister on our Facebook group. Most of the information about our upcoming events will be communicated on it (and the Erasmus from the first semester, including those staying for a year).
- join our WhatsApp conversation, which is even better to share information and ask questions.
- take a look at our website. You'll find there some interesting informations about accommodations and Louvain-la-Neuve
Also don't forget to come to the International Welcome Day organized by the UCL ! It will take place on February 1st from 10 am to 4 pm at the "Halles Universitaires", Place de l'Université 1. It's a great way to get important information, don't hesitate to come talk to us !
Last but not least, if you want to find a room from a private person, everything you need is right here
We hope this mail will make you more confident about your arrival in Belgium! Good luck with your packing and get ready for probably the best experience of your life ever! See you at the Welcome Week :D
The Kot Erasmus Team ♥