Dear Erasmus/exchange students,
First, congratulations on choosing our small but wonderful country :-) We promise you lots of amazing experiences during your stay in Louvain-la-Neuve ! But before your arrival in Belgium, let us provide you with some useful information.
Before starting, allow us to introduce ourselves: we're the Kot Erasmus. For all those who don’t know what a “kot” is, it’s a form of accommodation for students which consists of a flat with multiple private bedrooms and shared common areas (living room, kitchen, toilets, showers). As a specialty of Louvain-la-Neuve, there are also some kots called “kot-à-projets” (also called kaps). These kots are meant to unite students not only through a common living space but also through a common project. The nature of this project may vary a lot between the 78 KAPs but they all seek to enrich and serve the student’s life in LLN.
Our kap, the Kot Erasmus - consisting of 8 Belgian and 10 exchange students - aims to help the Erasmus/exchange students and organize activities for them at their arrival in Belgium and during the rest of their stay. At the beginning of each semester (in September and January), the Kot Erasmus offers the possibility of temporary accommodation owing to its dormitories and sanitary facilities. You're thus very welcome to spend a few nights in our dorms IF:
- You don't find any accommodation before your arrival in Belgium. You will then have the possibility to spend 3 nights in our dorms to go directly to the UCL housing service buildings (6, rue de la gare) to try to find a room in a UCL kot or in a private kot.
- You've already found an accommodation but you won't be able to receive your keys the day of your arrival in LLN. Especially if you've found an UCL accommodation, don't forget to check their opening hours :-)
- You don't need our dorms ;-) Yes, you should come to the kot Erasmus anyway, because we are hosting our Welcome Week ! Actually, we'll be cooking a delicious cheap dinner (3 or 4€) and organizing small parties every evening of our Welcome period (from September 9th to September 15th). All the exchange / Erasmus students of LLN are thus welcome to join to have fun and meet each other. Moreover, we'll be very happy to answer any of your questions about our university, our country, our traditions and the way we celebrate here in LLN.
To book one of the 28 beds of our dorms, you will just have to send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. The dorms will be open from September 9th until September 22nd and you can stay a maximum of 3 nights (unless we have enough available beds). The price is 5 euros per person and night. We also have bedding kits with sheets if you don’t have your own. You just need to pay a deposit of 50 euros to rent one and you'll get your 50 euros back when you give the sheets back. No worries, we always have beds for everyone, we won't let you sleep in the street :-)
During the rest of the year, we will only have 6 beds that you can book if you have friends or family visiting you for example. You will have to bring your own bedding, and the price is the same. For that, simply email us :-)
To get to know more about us and our project: do not hesitate to
- contact us through our Facebook page
- send us an email at email@example.com
- register on our Facebook group. Most of the information about our upcoming events will be communicated on it (and the Erasmus from the first semester, including those staying for a year).
- join our WhatsApp conversation, which is even better to share information and ask questions.
- take a look at our website. You'll find there some interesting informations about accommodations and Louvain-la-Neuve
Also don't forget to come to the International Welcome Day organized by the UCL ! It's a great way to get important information, don't hesitate to come talk to us !
Last but not least, if you want to find a room from a private person, everything you need is right here
We hope this message will make you more confident about your arrival in Belgium! Good luck with your packing and get ready for probably the best experience of your life ever! See you at the Welcome Week :D
The Kot Erasmus Team ♥